[at-l] Name Tags and the Gathering

At 07:22 PM 10/10/01 -0400, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
>In a message dated 10/10/2001 4:16:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
>Snodrog5@aol.com writes:
>

> > Hi sAunTerer, excelent post.
> > (&thanks for the great nametags at the Gathering)
> >

>Yeah, those name tags were really nice!  Was there any leftover?  I couldn't
>find mine all weekend......
>
>Sly (the anonymous)

Hi Sly,  We met briefly at one point.  I noticed that you didn't have your
tag but I thought you'd just forgotten to wear it.  It isn't among the
leftovers.  Someone must have been impersonating you.  Send me your elegant
traditional mail address privately and I'm make you a new one.

FWIW: The leftovers are Old Master, Marty, Springfever, Key-Mho-Saw-Bee,
Cheerio, K-7, Jim (as in Owen), Ginny, and ke kaahawe.  Y'all can have them
if you want them but I gotta know where to send them.

On another note I really identify with Twilight's comment "I was also a
member of AT-L and have to admit to you guys that I was intimidated at
first. You all seemed to KNOW each other. It was like walking into a
family.. trying to be a member but I was the new kid. " and like
Hummingbird I don't usually care for groups.  No, that's an
understatement.  I'm a part-time artist who doesn't have openings when I
hang a show because I can't deal with it.  My usual experience with groups
reminds me of a verse from a Cat Stevens song "Hard Headed Woman" (Tea for
the Tillerman).
"I know many fine feathered friends
but their friendliness depends on how you do.
They know many sure fired ways to find out the one who pays,
and how you do."

When I came to AT-L after ATML it was a very different experience and the
reception I received at the Gathering was unreal.  It's called
acceptance.  I'm not accustomed to people just taking me for what I am
instead of sizing me up for what I can do for them, what they can get from
me or whether I'm friend or foe.  It does take a bit of adjustment.
Apparently there are a few among us who aren't satisfied with that as a
justification for the existence of the AT-L community but that's their loss
and although I may continue to ask them to lighten up occasionally I'll
accept them even if they don't believe it.

sAunTerer