[at-l] Thank you

A large number of people expressed condolences on the death of my uncle last
week.  There were so many that I can't possibly write to you individually,
but I really wanted to say "thank you".

Bill was one of the people who raised me after my father died - and I'll
miss him.  But I've also let him go because he was ready to go. He was 91
last June and while his mind was crystal clear, his body was rapidly
failing.  It finally gave up completely last week.

Bill was one of those rare people who, even though he lived in near poverty
all his life, at the end said "I had a good life".  He was one of the few
people who have not thruhiked but still have some understanding of what it
is and why we do it.  He grew up hiking with the family - and then had his
own long walk - through North Africa, Sicily, Italy France and Germany,
ending in Berlin.  There's no one that I know who's had a tougher "long
walk".

We went from the funeral to the Gathering because he'd have wanted it that
way.  We honored his death - and then joined a celebration of life.  He'd
have been pleased by that - he'd have loved the people and the spirit at the
Gathering.

Again - thank you.

Walk softly,
Jim and Ginny