[at-l] Gathering

It was, as always a time to see lots of friends, make new friends and spend a good portion of the weekend trying to find friends you "heard" were there, but you hadn't seen. It was a real treat to finally meet Art whom I have been corresponding with since before I moved south three years ago.

The weather was just what I had packed for - for once, I used every bit of cloithing I brought with me, from shorts to fleece pants. The sun was spotty on Saturday but shining brightly during the traditional picture. I think this was the first one I was ever actually on time for.

I want to thank everyone who showed for my workshop - with such stiff competition, I was thankful anyone showed at all! (there were a couple presentations in that time slot I REALLY wanted to see) The new hikers that were there all voiced their appreciation for the input from previous section and thru-hikers. I was approached by a few people asking if i had any extra handouts. For anyone who missed it but would like to see the handouts, they are posted on my website. I need to update it tonight or tomorrow, but the basic version is available under "ruck '01 handouts" right now.  I'll post here and the aldha mailing list when I get it updated.

http://members.aol.com/karens62

Saturday night turned into a memorable evening spent watching Walkin' Jim than hanging out with Flyin' Brian hearing the tales of his hike and sharing, as always, lots of laughs.

Sunday morning dawned cold and crisp as we brought Brian back to campus for his talk.  The response was overwhelming.  When a question was repeated by a late arrival he thoughtfully answered it never letting on that he had just answered that question.  He was gracious, willing to answer any question honestly and seemed amazed at the outpouring of support. If "good vibes" can send someone up the trail, then this week he will definitely be "Flyin'".

I was one of the last out of camp yesterday.  It was a bit melancholy, but as I stopped for a quick shower brfore my flight, I saw Spur and Ready packing up. We had a nice chat at the picnic table and cemented my beliefs that there are no friendships like the ones you find in the hiking community.

I'm back to work today but am having trouble concentrating because sweet flashbacks of the weekend keep popping into my head.

POG