[at-l] Weather Data

Where is WildBill when we need him? The weather service has an URL, that I
can't put my hands on just now, that gives many readings from points very
close to the AT in the Smokies. The desire for such numbers on the AT is a
fine example of the conflict between trying to keep the trail undeveloped
and wanting to know exactly what occurs on the trail. I'd prefer not to
have weather stations every several miles along the trail, as that would
probably include a few antennas and tree trimming and other interventions
to help the equipment do its job well.

I would rather have such numbers from nearby towns and peaks while knowing
that the AT's ridgeline is usually worse. It makes it a bit harder for
folks unfamiliar with the terrain and nearby towns to know just exactly
what to expect, but that goes with the trail.

OrangeBug