[at-l] FYI -- Potstand for a SCS

FYI -- I have been doing some experimenting w/ potstand heights, and found
what appeared to be a bit of a surprise, to me in any case.

When I built my SCS I did some limited experimenting and then went with the
"traditional" wisdom, as I understood it.  That is, I built a pot stand that
placed the pot about one inch above the top of the stove.

On my last trip, I thought I noticed that as I lifted the pot off the flame
the boiling increased.

So, I did some more experimenting this weekend, at home.

>From the in-the-basement test, it appears that for my stove the most
efficient height is about two inches above the top of the stove.  I have yet
to do an outside-in-the-wind test w/ wind screen and am curious about the
effect of whatever draft that gets by the wind screen.

Until I get those "real conditions" tested, I am jumping to no conclusions.

However, I was wondering what potstand heights other SCS users have tested
and what they found.  As always -- YMMV.  In this case, I expect that is
particularly true, due to differences in SCS design & construction and/or in
pot diameter and material.  However, I am interested in others' experiences.

Chainsaw