[at-l] Pack list for feedback - Conquering your fears.

RE: [at-l] Pack list for feedback - Conquering your fears.Ron,

Thanks for an informative and helpful response. I truly am here to learn, so
I really appreciate your thoughts and the book and article references, which
I will look at. Your assumption, however, is incorrect. While I have had to
juggle trail time with years of education, a successful career, and family
over the last thirty-five years, I do have a couple of miles under my belt.
Certainly, I am not the expert you are, but I am neither a novice nor a
"fair-weather-car-camper".  I do not have three cups :-) .

I have a very clear understanding of the differences between my wants and
needs. I do not believe that a thru-hike is a survival situation that
requires one to disregard their wants and tend only to their basic needs. (I
recognize that it could become one, but it is not one by design.)  I also
don't believe that every person who attempts a thru-hike must become an
ultralight hiker - this simply isn't true, yet many imply that it is.  I
have read Jim Owens' work and I have a great appreciation for his
perspective on gear. I feel that it is important to seek balance.  While
there are probably several ways to sabotage a thru-hike, I do not believe
that there is any one way to complete a successful thru-hike. Clearly, you
believe this as well.  I also hear you saying that one needs to do a lot of
preparation, both in the study and on the trail. On this, we also agree.

Thanks again for the references and for your thoughts.  I do appreciate
them. Oh and thanks a bunch for putting the Companion online - great
decision!

Joel