[at-l] Living the Compassionate Life

I read this today, liked it and decided to share.
This applied to everyone, anywhere, but especially here and now.

-r

As human beings we all have the potential to be happy and compassionate =
people, and we also have the potential to be miserable and harmful to =
others. The potential for all these things is present within each of us.

If we want to be happy, then the important thing is to try to promote =
the positive and useful aspects in each of us and to try to reduce the =
negative. Positive acts always bring us inner strength. With inner =
strength we have less fear and more self-confidence, and it becomes much =
easier to extend our sense of caring to others without any barriers, =
whether religious, cultural, or otherwise.

This is what I call the promotion of human value. My main concern is =
always how to promote an understanding of deeper human value. This =
deeper human value is compassion, a sense of caring, and commitment. No =
matter what your religion, and whether you are a believer or a =
nonbeliever, without them you cannot be happy.

>From "Living the Compassionate Life" by the Dalai Lama. Shambhala Sun, =
November 2001. Adapted from The Compassionate Life, by the Dalai Lama. =
=A9 2001 Tenzin Gyatso, the Fourteenth Dalai Lama. Available in October =
from Wisdom Publications.

noble path
--------------------------------
- Still round the corner there may wait