[at-l] plastic vs paper

"...Plastic, used over and over whenever possible. Or another option has been
mesh shopping bags. Only a few clerks and shoppers look strangely at us for
using them."

 I think my collection of canvas (cotton) bags collected from sundry sources
 over the years may be equally environmentally friendly. (one appeared
 mysteriously after I donated money to public radio, two I inherited, another
 came from a factory who gives favors when its employees don't have an accident
 for six months, two were given to a now departed relative by his sundry medical
 facilities....)

  I began using them when my supermarket offered a 3 cent refund for using your
  own bags. I continued after that bargain stopped because stuff never falls out
  the top, or breaks through the bottom and smashes on the pavement -- as a jug
  of wine did once with plastic. And I can carry four of them into the kitchen
  at once, something I never managed to do with paper.

  Weary