[at-l] weight loss

--- Bob Cummings <ellen@clinic.net> wrote:
> "...It's a survival thing after you've lost 55#."
>  There's nothing inherent about the trail that ordains a 55 pound loss,
> or any weight loss for that matter -- unless you choose to lose that
> amount of weight.
>
>  However, hikers who eat a proper diet in sufficient quantities won't
> lose weight unless they choose to do so.

### This matches my *own* experience 100%. I started the trail at the same
weight I graduated high school with: 150 lbs. By Damascus, I was 140, and
then I stopped weighing myself. (Ha! I still weighed my pack!) But I was
resupplying along the way, with ad-libbed food drops from my parents, and
the diet was not.... very ..... constant in quality.

### When I hit Connecticut, I took five days off, planned the food from
Kent-->Katahdin, bought it, packaged it, and shipped it, for the remaining
$150 and 6 weeks that I had left. I planned it out PURRRRRfectly, ate like
king (a medieval king, to be sure, with Homer Simpson mastications and
dribble out the corners of the mouth...), and NEVER went hungry. I GLORIED
in food, on trail or in town, but always felt satisfied. I RAN up
mountains! Did my single 30 mile day getting to the Kennebec. (Burp.
Finally had that half gallon of ice cream in Stratton; and then did 52
pancakes just before the Kennebec....) Finished on DaBigUgly with a couple
of bags of rice [blech, always saved for emergencies] in my pack.

### Anywho, I agree with Weary. And I make a wish that your mileage
*doesn't* vary.

Sloetoe

=====
Spatior, Nitor, Nitor, In Nitor!