[at-l] Maildrops vs buy-it-yourself

This has got to be one of those "hike-your-own-hike" kinds of topics.

I thought Jon/Wanchor spent an awful lot on postage on his thru this year.  The boxes I shipped from Florida tended to cost $9-$17 in express mail postage. I sent 31 packages. He had set a four-month schedule and claimed the extra cost was worth not having to hitch, grocery shop, run arround towns for supplies, etc.  He also claimed what he had me send (including cheese, pepperoni, summer sausage and bagels or tortillas) was better than he could get in a off-brand, backwoods convenience store.

He did figure how many meals should go in each box, allowing him to take advantage of restaurants near the trail whenever possible.  Almost all of the boxes were shipped to motels or hostels or campgrounds so he wasn't tied to a post office schedule.  Several times he arrived early in the day at a hostel, took a shower, offered them something for keeping the box, and trucked on without overnighting there.  He did his own shopping only when there was a large grocery close to the trail.

I'd have gagged after a month (much less four months) of the repetitive diet he had me to send.  He did lose 40 lbs on his hike--and gained back 10 in the 12 days of our Maine reunion trip.

Joan
bluetrail@aol.com