[at-l] Homemade Snowshoes Break in person

The 3 feet of snow in 1993 was a national catastrophe - a N'oreaster
blizzard from Florida on North. The nation was ill prepared. People
died, especially in the Smokies. Most who died attempted self rescue by
walking out without appropriate gear and food. Those who waited out the
storm in shelters bore some injuries, and many walked out without
rescue. Of course the mystery hiker had no way of knowing these facts.

Most search and rescue folks will advise you they appreciate the person
who makes the best of a bad situation and participates in their rescue.
As an FDNY searcher said from an empty basement area "The best rescue
is the one the people do themselves."

I think you are making a mistake of comparing the radio personality who
publicized his search and rescue for self promotion against a currently
nameless hiker who did not seek publicity but simply did what needed to
be done to avoid further exposure and risk of injury. Certainly there
is selfishness involved in both parties, just as there is in each one
of us who leaves house and home and family to hike. I would far rather
hear of the loss of government property than to have read he littered
the pristine landscape of the SNP by leaving his body on the door steps
of the shed.

Bill...