[at-l] Homemade Snowshoes - Break-in person.

Clifford,

Reference your post, dated October 1, 2001, advising:

(1)  "(Lots) of folks were upset because some guy got lost without a compass
and map, they sent out search parties ... I'll bet you ... the lost guy cost
a lot less than this snow storm did for rescues."

(2)  "This person that broke into the shed and fabricated snowshoes isn't
someone to admire in my book. He (simply) demonstrated his selfishness when
he broke into the shed in order to survive his own ignorance in being
unprepared in the first place."

(3)  "But (worst) of (all) he demonstrated his lack of respect and lack of
honesty in not reporting his break in."

(4)  "In the country breaking into a camp by a person in trouble is
acceptable by one who was prepared for the situation they put themselves in,
but not when the person foolishly went out unprepared and selfishly depended
on breaking into someone else's camp or shed to bail themselves out."

(5)  "Not only did this person bring shame on himself, but to some extent
the entire hiking community."

Responding to:

(1)  I, as apparently do you, remain surprised at the lack of forgiveness
some hikers extend to others.  After all, who among us is incapable of
making a mistake?  The snowshoe fabricating hiker did not cause a search
party to be sent out.  The U.S. Park Service responded, realizing the high
likelihood of people becoming stranded by the unexpectedly quick
accumulation and depth of the snow.

(2)  I'm not sure the hiker wouldn't have survived without the break-in --
but my observation is in hindsight, not in the midst of a very unusual
blizzard.  In the same sentence you use the terms "selfishness" and "to
survive" to describe the same act, "(Breaking) into the shed and
(fabricating) snowshoes."  Once we accept the possibility that a person's
very survival depends upon some act, we usually forgive some fairly horrific
acts to accomplish that survival.

(3)  As I mentioned in a previous post, the Statute of Limitations may not
have run, and the desire of some people to prosecute may be greater than
their appreciation for the hikers' adaptability.  Some may feel free to turn
themselves in for every indiscretion, this hiker apparently does not.

(4)  This hiker qualified both as being "in the country" and also as being
"in trouble."  The remainder is a non sequitur; if someone is "prepared for
the situation they put themselves in ..." they would, by definition, not
need to take the extraordinary measure of "breaking into someone else's camp
or shed to bail themselves out."  To break into someplace seems to make less
sense if you were, in fact, "prepared for the situation."

(5)  I must have a higher shame threshold, the actions of this hiker do not
make me feel ashamed.

Happy hiking.  Steve