Re[4]: [at-l] snowshoes

Jim is basically correct. Traditional snow shoes were used by folks who had
little or no interest in climbing high peaks or steep slopes leading to high
peaks. They were mostly farmers and trappers and woodsmen for which climbing
mountains was of little or no interest.

 Most of us who still use traditional wooden snowshoes have improvised crampons.
 Mine are standard instep crampons, sold by EMS. I used a hammer and a vice to
 bend  down the uprights that are designed to fit around boots, and wired them
 to the bottom of my snowshoes. It took 10 or 15 minutes and have served me for
 years. Some just file down an aluminum "el" bar into improvised crampons.
 Before I used EMS, I had fashioned a pair of military surplus instep crampons
 to do the same job.

 Outdoor stores from time to time sell manufactured versions of my
 improvisations, though such are getting scarce as more and more choose the
 "modern" as opposed to the Time tested.

 However, the problem is less urgent than some might suppose. I once climbed
 north traveler mountain in winter in northern Baxter Park. The slopes were
 steep and icy. I marveled at how nicely my improvised crampons were working --
 until I returned to the bottom and discovered that one of my improvised
 crampons had fallen off at the beginning of the climb. I had never noticed.

 All snowshoes provide more traction than most boots. It is the nature of the
 equipment. Frankly, I've never worn modern snowshoes so I can't offer a
 comparison. But traditional snowshoes have a porous webbing, which allows snow
 that inevitably collects to fall through. New snowshoes have an impervious
 webbing, which as I observe other hikers, seems to build up far more heavy snow
 than do my ancient versions.

 I suspect it's like every thing else in this world. Every improvement has a bit
 of a draw back. I would advise everyone to base their decisions on the best
 experience they can manage, and as a fall back, on the advice that seems most
 practical, all the while pondering the status of their pocketbooks.

 I bought my favorite "old fashioned" snowshoes at a yard sale for $40. Had I
 invested 8 times 40, I could have bought the most modern -- and heavy --
 snowshoe available. Or I could have used Gil Fitzpatricks book (recommended by
 Clifford Haynes, AKA Rocky) and built my own for a few bucks.

 Weary