[at-l] homemade snowshoes

March of '93 but it was in the Smokies.

There was also a school group that holed up in one of the shelters for a few
days and a few other random groups out there.  Lot's of folks rescued by
helicopter.  I remember because I was planning an April trip at the time.

The April trip was great, though rainy, and a friend an I ended up rescuing
a family of unprepared hikers heading up Leconte.  Most, but not all, of the
snow had melted by the time we got there.

Of course, there might have been a similar episode somewhere in VA...

Mara