[at-l] In line filters - Kahley, Orange Bug, et al.

Well, there are several ways to do an inline filter, and I haven't
purused all of the links at EMS you have read. The basic idea for a
gravity filter is a large bag/reservoir for dirty water, a long tubing,
an inline filter, and an outlet to drip clean water into a clean
container for use.

You are reading of some prepackaged systems as well as components for a
make it yourself system. You can also use an inline filter with a
reservoir in real time, allowing your suction to drive the water thru
the filter. Of course, if water freezes anywhere in the system, it is
cold toast. I've tried rigging the filter and tube into my winter
clothing, but it really isn't practical once temps stay below 20 F for
10-12 hours of walking. Even in warm weather, the filter is a bit of a
bother knocking around.

I use a large 2+liter Platypus "Big Mouth" which is an industrial
strength zip lock for a reservoir. The tubing is cut somewhere along
it's length and the In-Line Filter is plugged in place and more tubing
follows it. You simply fill the reservoir, rig it to be higher than the
outflow, put a soda bottle or other clean water container below at the
outflow and wait. If the water is ready to freeze, cold toast city
again.

Gravity filters shine in relatively warm water that will not freeze
while you await the driping. Other filters can work well, so long as
you can keep the water moving and avoid freezing in the tubes or lines.
The number of moving parts should provide some idea of reliability and
simplicity of use.

When these inline filters first came out, they were guaranteed for much
more water than the current 60 liters/gallons (I forget which). They
had quick clog ups, particularly when folks like me would try to run
Gatorade powder through them. It would work quite well for a while, but
eventually the powder would either crystalize in the filter, fungus and
bugs would grow and clog up, or a combination of the two. We now see a
fungus preventor and markedly shorter recommended life span. But for
$20, this may be worth your while. Many complain they clog too quickly
and are too slow. At least it is an effortless thing to try a gravity
filter. You can extend lifespan by running iodine through the filter,
boiling the filter, drying it quickly after use, never putting
electrolyt and sugar solutions through it, and other common sense
methods. Boiling and iodine are not recommended by the manufacturer.

The folks at BackpackingGearTest Yahoogroups have tested competitive
inline filters. This is really one of those personal choice items that
inflame some passions, sort of like footware choices and clothing
colors. When you bring at least one backup method and get comfortable
with the fact that similar numbers of filter users get ill as do
non-filter users, then the choice can be based on ease and consistency
of use rather than some fear or fashion statement.

Bill...