From: Bob Cummings
To: at-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Sent: 9/29/01 7:52 PM
Subject: [at-l] Re: AT-L Dehydrator Recommendations?

My microwave is a very low-powered, GE model, that is no longer made. It
is also
a conventional oven, as well as a microwave. Too many people couldn't
figure it
out. They kept the regular oven tray in while microwaving, causing
monstrous
problems.

 But on microwave, I use the regular microwave tray and dehydrate in 30
minute
 cycles on the "warm" setting. It works great for things like green
beans (two
 or three hours) from the garden, but is too hot for tomatoes.

 I use a large cookie tray for drying in my regular electric range. I
just
 spread the food one layer thick over the bottom of the tray, turn the
oven on
 warm and leave the door open a crack

 It's all pretty primitive and not suitable for major drying, but it
works for
 the limited drying I do, mostly meats and a few veggies from my too
large
 garden.

  Walmart and similar stores sell a commercial dryer that many have
praised. I
  don't remember the brand, but if I ever decide to revert to major
drying, I
  will look it up and buy one.

  The secret to good meat drying is to avoid all fat and slice very
thin. Some
  butchers will do thin slicing of fat free meats, but I just trim off
all
  visible fat and pop the meat into the freezer for an hour or two.
Partially
  frozen, any sharp knife will cut meat thinly.

  Weary