[at-l] ACK!

To help w/ expenses - I'd recommend what I did, although I didn't finish my
hike - it worked for me.  I saved rent by moving out and putting everything
into a storage unit at a tiny fraction of what I paid for monthly rent.
makes a huge difference.  When you load the storage unit - just keep certain
things in the front for easy access.  I put a couple bags of off-trail
clothes in the front & stuff I would want for short term life when I got
back.  I put the file cabinet in last and facing front so I can get into it.
I've been 'living' out of that storage unit now since Feb 2000!  I'm now
getting ready to pull everything out & live like a normal person and now
realize I don't want half of it anymore!  I've been renting temporary
corporate apts while working, living in hotels & camping while traveling
etc.  Its pretty easy to find a place when you come back.  You don't have to
sleep on a bench - don't forget you can always find a campground in most
places, even major cities.  There is an RV campground just down the road
from me here on the DC beltway that is awesome, has bus service and allows
tenting.  You can find hotels w/ weekly rates and some furnished apts with
short term leases until you find a perm apt.  its a bit more freeing to not
have a 'home' you are tied to, but it is a little odd at first.  Best bet
for weekly hotel w/ kitchen is to find some old main hwy that has been
replaced by freeway and drive up / down.  There are always older style
motels w/ kitchenettes and weekly rates.  All of these options will often be
cheaper than paying rent for a place that sits empty - unless you can
sublet.  After some time on the trail - you will find your standards of what
is a 'decent' place to stay have drastically changed.  Really - you won't
have ANY problems finding a place to nest while you plan your post-hike
steps.

For work, I do consulting programming work and was lucky to have my main
client want me back whenever I was willing to spend some time working.  So,
work was easier for me than it has been for others.  You may want to ask the
company about a structured leave of absence.  Realistically - if you are a
good productive employee - they will always want you back.  You don't have
to be trained - you would be a person who could just walk in and be
productive again on the first day.  Unless the company takes a nose dive
while you are gone, it probably wouldn't be too difficult to come back in
some capacity.

who knows - you  may even find a BETTER job post hike?!

Cheerio