[at-l] ACK!

Dear - V,

I have never thru-hiked the AT, but I am currently planning a thru for '03.
Hope to see you and BF on the trail! My budget is a working document (and I
certainly welcome feedback from those who have completed thru-hikes). My
current estimated cost for the trip is about $3800. This does not include
the costs of living at home while I am away, since wife's income will take
care of that.

Based on comments I've read about others experiences, this is higher than
some but far from being on the high-end. While it constantly changes, it
goes something like this:

Equipment 			 $325
Clothing 			 $400
Food 		 		 $1,236
Lodging & Travel 	 	 $1,904

Several things to note -
1) I already own the lion's share of the equipment & clothes I need for this
hike.
2) My "food" category includes trail supplies, some food purchased along the
trail, and in towns during overnight stays. Trail food cost is estimated on
basis of purchasing in bulk prior to departure. (I expect this may increase
slightly).
3) My "Lodging and Travel" line item includes $500 in travel costs to get to
and from Springer and Katahdin. Off-trail lodging is based on an average
cost for an estimated 30 nights of lodging. This includes on & off trail
motels, lodges, and/or hostels.

Again, based on what I have researched, the size of this budget can be
seriously trimmed. On-trail food supplies and off-trail lodging seem to be
the real expenses. On-trail food is usually more expensive than you can get
at home, so the balance between on-trail purchases and mail-drops plays an
important part.  For some people, travel to and from home is a notable cost.
Two hikers traveling together can reduce costs (and weight). Almost all of
the research I have seen agrees that the minimum cost is somewhere in the
range of $2500 for the trip alone. I'm sure that there are many who have
done it cheaper, but this represents an average estimate.

Hope this helps,

Joel