[at-l] Where do you put your packs at night?

Bob,

Reference your post, dated September 26, 2001, where you advised "I ... hung
my food bag in the shelter (and) was chastised ... that hanging ... food in
the shelter ... would invite a visit by the local bear population. At the
time the bears were not even out of hibernation ..."

Black Bears in the eastern U.S. are not considered to hibernate throughout
winter.  They will find a private place, doze for a few days, awaken,
emerge, forage for food, then return to sleep some more.  This is repeated
throughout winter.  This may vary in places, within the eastern U.S.,
depending upon food availability and weather.

I would also be concerned, hanging food in a shelter will, over the long
run, attract other opportunists as well.  I will long remember a very
insistent possum who could not understand I didn't want his/her company
inside my sleeping bag on a cold, rainy, and windy night I wasn't using a
tent.  (Hissing dissuades possums; just remain vigilant and repeat whenever
it returns.)

Happy hiking.  Steve