[at-l] My impression of "Guying out the fly"

it can be quite simple.  Some tents the fly is close to the ground and you
just stake it down.  Others, generally the ones where they talk about
'guy'ing, have a fly that is higher - not low to the ground.  They will
often have some sort of support for holding the fly up - or you can use your
hiking pole.  then the guying process involves the use of some line to make
the connection between the fly & some grommet or attachement area to the
stake in the ground.

ex - my nomad.  in very VERY bad conditions, I can stake the awning/fly
direct into the ground but have to unstake it to enter / exit.  No big deal
- in that weather when i'm in, i'm in for the nite.  The fly is a triangular
shape with a grommet hole in the tip of the triangle.  There is a light pole
that has a tip going thru the grommet and the other end of the pole sticks
into the ground.  Then I have a stretchy line w/ 2 loops @ each end.  One
end goes around the tip poking thru the grommet hole.  I pull the line tight
and stake the other end to the ground.  Then I enter / exit by going under
this triangular awning type fly.

Does that make sense?  guying may or may not involve some line, but always
involves attaching your tent somehow to something firm, like the ground via
stakes, rocks, trees etc via lines.

Cheerio