[at-l] Where do you put your packs at night?

That would be the vestibule. Your backpack can double as a bed mat,
particularly if you use a 3/4 length pad. This is particularly
worthwhile in severe cold to avoid heat loss from contact with a floor
or other heat sink. Of course, you want to be sure it is dry if you
have a down sleeping bag touching it.

Guying out the fly is simply tying it down to avoid wind flapping, or
worse, discovering the aerodynamic qualities of your tent. You asked
about how to tent in the winter. It is a good idea to practice in your
backyard (particularly for your 110 lb. wife). To deal with deep snow
as in the Smokies in early March, you need to know how to erect a tent
with snow as your anchor, how to avoid severe wind, how to keep your
calories flowing, and those sort of things. While you can learn it on
the trail, it is a good idea to avoid needing rescue by gaining those
skills closer to home.

Since you live in NoGA, you might want to look out for the next winter
storm/ice event. In your situation, I'd consider driving over to Unicoi
Gap, walking up to Blue Mountain Shelter (one heck of a climb) and
preparing for the wind in an area north of the ridgeline. You will get
cold and wind, but not as much accumulation as the southern side,
usually. The Low Gap Shelter area (north of Hogpen Gap) might be
reasonable practice, but is more protected from weather. Another area
for really good winter views and campsites never seen between May and
October is North of Walasi-Yi, Long Mountain and surrounding areas. It
has more ridge exposure. Count on a trip report for ideas and
assistance.

Bill...
<back for a while>