[at-l] Need input as to winter hiking the AT

> OK,  I would like to know how do you sleep when it is so cold?
> Do you tent out?  Stay at the shelters?

I have a zero degree down bag; use a goretex jacket; and layer every
piece of clothing I can.  all high-tech fabrics.   You'll find that
tents are warmer than shelters, but, sometimes you have no choice.
last winter, I carried a bivy for emergency use.  I was glad I had
it.  I set it up inside the shelter, and stayed nice and toasty.  even
at 10 below!

> what did you bring
> in terms of clothes to keep you warm?

I have a light weight & 2 mid wieght capaleen thermals.  I usually
wear one set and keep the other dry for camping.  However, your
clothes will dry while you sleep.  last winter, I changed into the dry
set next to my body, and wore the wet set on top of that to dry while
I slept.  I also will carry a fleece vest and a wool sweater.  LOTS of
clothes.  but, most of it is on your body.

A couple of tips.   bring LOTS of fuel.  Hot gatorade is great!

use the blue nalgene bottles.  they can withstand the freezing to
boiling temp changes.  and, a couple of hot water bottles in the
sleeping back is real nice.   plus that way you have warm water for
breakfast.

t.