[at-l] Need input as to winter hiking the AT

Winter in the Smokies??   this can be anywhere from Beautifully clear
to down right dangerous.   Go to here for some photos of a trip a did
a few yrs back.   I good example of knee high snow up top and sunshine
below.

http://www2.netdoor.com/~tjfort/

I've had to turn back a couple of times.  Last christmas was the
latest.  Temps on Mount LeConte were in the -teens F!  (ask the
caretaker)  trail conditions were dangerous at best.  One man died,
another had to be lifted out of Ice Water springs by Helicopter.

I should update my website with some photos, but, lack the time.

But, I do so much like hiking in the cold & snow !!!

t.