[at-l] Ready's Journal :Sept 20 TD 98

You can write to Ready    readyhiker@pocketmail.com

A warm, comfy bed is a terrible thing to waste, and so - we didn't.
It was after 6 AM when we finally got up. Breakfast was
served at 7:30 and for that we were on time.
There were only 5 of us there, quite a difference from their
past several days, according to camp operators, Linda and
Bill. Throngs of hikers had been coming through. We seemed
to be in a little "bubble," something about which we were very
happy. There was a possibility that we'd have an easier time
entering and staying in Baxter State Park once we got there.
Freight Train & his dog, Midnight, Crowded Feet, Squirrel, Spur
and I all boarded the little boat that was to bring us across the
lake to the trail. Most of us were on the starboard side, so it
was an interesting crossing. Bill, an excellent boatsman,
maneuvered the craft right to shore without a single wasted motion.
Crowded Feet was off in a flash, Squirrel lingered behind us,
sure that we'd be outpacing him were he to head out first.
Freight Train headed south.
Within minutes our leapfrogging with Squirrel began. I seem to
start out slowly, and until my muscles warm up, I keep a slow
pace. By the time my muscles were warmed up today, Spur
was stopping to take photos. Squirrel took this cue and headed
out ahead of us. We passed him as he sat trailside for a cigarette break.
Just about an hour into hiking today, we ran into WoodNymph
and Shambala. We'd not seen WoodNymph since the Shenandoahs;
Shambala we'd known only from his log entries. It was so great to
see her and to meet him. She recounted how she'd had a terrible
bout of giardia and he'd been a great support for her.
We chatted briefly before moving on, hoping to see them later today -
  they were shooting for the same goal as we were, Rainbow Springs
Campsites. Squirrel caught up just as we were leaving again.
We saw nobody again until we reached Wadleigh Stream Lean-to.
There at the shelter was Hemlock, whom we hadn't seen since
Duncannon! It was so exciting to be meeting up with some of the
folks whom we'd met the first week I'd jumped onto the trail and
whom we'd fallen behind! We had a nice lunch together before
heading out again.
Here we also met Czarina and Gooch, hiking with their border collie,
Penny, whom they had found in PA during their thru attempt last year.
Czarina had drawn elaborate doodles in her entries and was
someone we were delighted to meet after enjoying all those pix.
Today's terrain was a mix of level grades and climbs. There were
sections that were superbly constructed and maintained - including
one of the longest, most impressive staircases I'd ever seen - as
well as some terrain that was among the most ragged imaginable.
Stepping alternated between precarious, rock and root balancing to
easy and swift striding. Whether it was a stream, pond or lake, for
most of the day we walked alongside water of some kind.
It was a cool day, with overcast skies. We'd heard various forecasts,
all calling for possible showers today and most calling for foul, cold
weather the following day. We were hearing differing reports as to
whether Saturday, our Katahdin summit goal, would be fair or foul.
All reports suggested that a bitter cold front would descend after Monday.
Our resolve to make it to our goal tonight was strengthened, as
we wanted to be able to enter the Park and summit on Saturday,
should that provide our best window of opportunity. Spur has yet
to summit Katahdin on a clear day.
Atop Nesuntabunt Mtn, we caught a good look at Katahdin. Where
yesterday the mtn. had stood unobscured in bright sunshine, today
its peak was covered over by a large cloud. Ten minutes later, from
a ledge on the descent, the cloud covering had engulfed the mountain
all the way to include the Tablelands.
When we reached the Rainbow Springs Lean-to, we found Tabasco
Donkey waiting for the others. It was great to see him again! We
marveled again how uncanny it was to be meeting up again with
those we'd met at the beginning of our hike together. For me it was
  bringing about a nice sense of closure.
We had only about 4 miles to go to reach our goal today and it was
already after 4:30. We headed out again. We cruised. Keeping a
better than 3 mph pace, we reached the Campsites before 6 PM!
Spur quickly found a suitable site - we were worried that the rains
would fall before we'd successfully made camp. At nearby sites,
  we found Crowded Feet and Zirque! Zirque had been among the
crowd of folks from way back there in PA, too!
I fetched water from a wonderful cold spring near the Rainbow
Lake while Spur hastily pitched the tent. We were just about to
cook supper when the drizzle began, so the whole "kitchen" got
moved to under the tent's vestibule. We had a cozy dinner, safe
and dry under our tent, cooking by lamplight.
Plans for tomorrow, our 2nd-last hiking day, called for an early
start. We were journaling and asleep by 9:30 PM.

multipart/mixed
---