[at-l] old lister bio

Well, I guess I'll waste everybody's time by posting my story.

I'm Hopeful, aka Lamar Powell from Harrison, TN. I'm your basic brown
wrapper hill billy. My wife, sweetheart and girlfriend of 34 year is
Diana. We have 4 kids, all grown and 5 grandkids. Well by the end of
October we'll have 5. Family is the center of our universe, friends are
considered family or close enough to count. Right now our big excitement
is that my 3 brothers will be bring their clans to our house for
Thanksgiving so I can crow about the 2 new additions that we'll have by
then. We ought to have about 38 folks for dinner!  Oh, I have to come up
with two trail names for the new little girls. Little Sheltermouse turned
one year old today, can you believe it's been a year already!! She'll
have playmates to hike with now.

I learned of the AT in Vietnam, of all places. I wanted to hike it right
away but other things had higher priority. As the years slipped by I had
almost forgot about the dream. I was fishing with our youngest son in
1990 when we met a backpack. About as soon as I saw him the fire was
rekindled. I came home and told Diana all about the hiker and how I
wished I could thru hike. In her typical supportive way she asked, "Why
don't you?" For a year I thought about it and planned and began
collecting gear and getting into some kind of shape. I knew I'd have to
section hike until retirement but at least I'd be in the woods. So far
I've hiked from Springer to Pearisburg, VA, doing some sections more than
once. If all my plans work out, I can retire and thru hike in 2003. My
first time on the AT was a shake down trip to Spring Shelter in August of
'91 and my first section hike came the following October when I hiked
from Springer to Unicoi Gap.

Hiking and trail work are my big hobbies. I try to take some time each
year to work with Rocky Top or Konnarock trail crew. I work with the GATC
every chance I get. My most recent work was with the Gooch Mt relocation
and new shelter which are now complete. I also like to do some
woodworking. I hope to build a little utility building next spring but I
have a funny feeling I'll be making a play house instead. I try my hand
at poetry and other such stuff once in awhile. I enjoy reading. Recently
I've read Life and Death of the Salt Marsh, Teal and Teal; War As I Knew
by George Patton, An Ocean to Cross by Liz Fordred, A History Of Pi (math
symbol) by Petr Beckmann, The Story Of Maps by L.A. Brown and Ed Garvey's
New Appalachian Trail.

The AT List is very important to me. I guess I don't contribute much but
I sure enjoy being a part, even if I'm lurking most of the time. A few
years ago, I really needed the List to help me keep my head on straight
so I'll say a much belated thanks to everybody for being here.

I reckon that all except to say I'm usually out here lurking and enjoying
all the trail talk, gear reviews, recipes and trip reports so keep those
cards and lettering coming. Oh, my favorite beverage is sweet tea on the
rocks. You know, I get some ice cold tea in a thermos and take it out on
the Trail and sit down on some rocks and drink it. My favorite hard
beverage is some ice cold sweet tea at the top of a hard steep climb.
Hopeful
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.