[at-l] A different kind of Gear List

My Dad was a volunteer Firefighter for all of my impressionable years and we
lived a mile from a road and other houses for half of my childhood. And I
worked in the morgue after the Beverly Hills fire in KY (165 killed) The
following are off the top of my head I'll add others as they come to mind.
I carry the mini Swiss Army Knife (inch-n-a-half or 2" half dozen gizmos) and
a White Photon. Since I often carry no wallet I wear a military type dogtag
with name, address, phone #, blood type. Now that I'm retired I usually am
wearing a walking or hiking shoe. If it's sandal time or winter there are
boots in my truck. Standard issue for the truck are at least one usually two
or three flashlights of various sizes (currently two mini mags); a poncho
and/or rain suit (el cheapo); a large swiss army knife (not particularly
partial to Swiss Army but got most free during my working years); a mylar
space blanket; one of those 4" dia 3" high survival kits in a can (humorous
retirement gift since I was going to attempt a thru ... no I didn't carry it
...much other though).
In the winter a space blanket (the $11-$15 silver/colored version) and an LL
Bean gortex Wardens parka are added (parka is cause I don't usually wear a
coat when out-n-about). If I'll be anywhere more than a few miles from
civilization fluid of some stripe.
Other things: When I enter a building I look for and pay attention to exits &
escape routes. I make comment of blocked exits. As much as possible without
being ridiculous or paranoid and if it's a viable choice when in crowded
public places I locate myself along an exit route. I use stairways over
elevators (as much an exercise issue as anything). Again without being
paranoid I avoid upper floors of tall buildings; by that I mean I don't fool
around and waste time there; take care of business and leave (business could
be all day). I attempt to stay in lower floors of large hotels; don't make an
issue of it but do it where it is easy.
Please don't anyone read too much into this or think I'm suggesting Nowhere
is safe; while in fact that's true it is not something to quiver and shake
about. Just like hiking you make judgments regarding the risk then carry it
or leave it but you're cognizant of the risk and have alternatives stashed in
the back of your mind. Unless a discussion of this type comes up most of
these things are not conscious thoughts just trained actions to increase your
personal odds of not being a statistic.
Plum'Crazy

In a message dated 9/17/01 7:30:23 AM Central Daylight Time, kahley7@ptd.net
writes:

> Has anyone thought about this?  What would be reasonable?

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---