[at-l] Off Topic

I notice not much list traffic lately.  Of course, around this time every
year it drops off a bit - not prime starting time for NOBO's or SOBO's - a
busy time of year where the summer hikers aren't hiking and the winter hikers
aren't hiking.

Still - I'm thinking the drop off in traffic has other causes.

I haven't had TV for awhile now, having failed to pay my cable bill (thinking
must-have utilities were more important - but I dunno, may have been a wrong
call).  So throughout this whole thing, I've been without the live coverage,
the constant news reports, the updates, the special editions - the film at
eleven or the actual moving pictures of what happened, and the followups.  A
week ago I was upset that I had no TV, therefore I would miss the first
weekend of pro football.  I was plotting which friends I'd hit up for a place
to stay all day Sunday to watch football.  I was really looking forward to
football.  Now I can't say whether not having TV is a blessing or a curse.

I slept in late the day it happened - I didn't find out until I logged on to
check my mail. Then I spent a tense day waiting to hear from friends in the
Pentagon - who clearly had too much to deal with that day and it took awhile
for them to answer my emails.  I also spent that day worrying about friends
and family - most of them being in the Hampton Roads area, stationed or
living around NOB or FCTCLANT or Oceana - because it seemed like the next
"logical" place to destroy.  Largest navy base in the world - one of four
master jet bases - the finest training command in the east.  All "good"
targets.

This week marks the first anniversary of the death of my son's best friend.
Those of you who were around a year ago might remember.  I thought about the
hurt and anguish and pain and misery that came about through that one child's
death - and then tried to multiply that by how many people died this week,
and the amount of people who would personally mourn their passing.  I can't
count that high.

I dug out the flag from my fathers funeral - that once was Mom's, but passed
on to me when she died.  While searching for that flag, I came upon a whole
box of little flags - remnants of when my Dad was running for Sheriff in York
County.  Mom saved everything.  I also came across a box of childish drawings
and school papers - mine.  I never even knew she saved that stuff.  I sat
down in my garage and cried.

My coverage of this tragedy has been through the 'net, except when I happen
to be somewhere else with a TV.  I've cried over the pictures of smiling,
happy people who are no longer here.  I've read the stories of hero's and
courage.  I notice that in most yards in this neighborhood there are now
large signs that read "In God we trust, United we stand".

Now my thoughts go to my many friends in the military, or government service.
 While no one is sure what will actually happen, what our response will be,
or what shape or form it will take - I know that our armed forces will be
confronting it on a much more personal basis than most of us.  Whether it is
small special forces, or lobbing bombs from ships, or ground troops sent in,
or any combination - they will still be the ones fighting the battle for our
freedom.  For most of the U.S., Memorial Day is a three day weekend - it's a
picnic, a cookout, a three day hike.  For some it is so much more than that -
and I cringe thinking what it might mean to ALL of us a year from now.  It is
scary.  Trying to explain to a five year old what happened is hard.  Watching
my son, for all his recent problems, walk out the door to work late because
he just HAD to find that little flag pin, was hard.  But on a scale of one to
ten, it didn't register much with the horror and numbness and agony of this
past week.

This has nothing to do with hiking.  But I'm feeling all these things, and
once upon a time, sharing them here was the natural thing to do.  That has
changed of late - but really, it hasn't.  Because we can argue about
everything all the time - we can argue filter/not filter - Leki's/No Lekis -
Cel phone/no cel phone - political trail issues/no political trail issues,
and on and on.  But despite the recent flare up of arguments - I still feel
like this is my family.  And I have to share my thoughts with you.  What
happened goes so far beyond those arguments we've had as to make them seem
petty and meaningless.  I am not starting a thread, and there is no response
necessary - I just wanted to put into words what I'm thinking.

I've never needed a smashmellow so bad.

The Redhead

multipart/alternative
  text/html