[at-l] Starting Date for 2002

I really can't think of too many pros and cons
differences between a March vs April start.  April
will give you a chance for warmer weather, especially
as you reach the Smokies.  March will give you one
more month's head start, but there is absolutely no
rush even if you start in April.  You should still
have plenty of time, but if you are really worried
about it, then I vote for a March 1 start.  If you
start early and finish late (like me), you get to meet
all the hikers as they pass you by!

As for crowds, I started late March in '98 and took a
one week hike Amicalola to past Neels Gap in '00, and
I actually saw many more people when I "started" in
'00 in early March.  It's not that difficult to get
away from the AT crowds if you choose to do so.  Just
plan on tenting away from shelters at first.  Later in
your hike, you'll have shelters all to yourself, but
early on prepare to be squeezed in and snored out.

Nocona