[at-l] OT Islam

In a message dated 9/14/2001 9:57:19 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
kahley7@ptd.net writes:

> I'm ashamed to say I know nothing of Islam.
> There is a community Mosque about 40 miles
> from here and I've heard they are terrified and
> afraid to attend their services today (I think).
> I'm thinking of going to stand with them.  Am I
> right in that today is their Holy Day and that
> noon is the time?

I'm also very ignorant of the Islam faith and I lived in Afghanistan for nine
months in the early seventies, during an escape from my parents extremely
nasty divorce.  What I believe you refer to is Ramadan, a month long fast,
which I believe starts the end of the month, but I could be mistaken.  I
think their regular holy day is Saturday, but it was hard to tell as they
pray 5 times a day and it seemed like the singing from the minarets of the
Mosque was nearly constant.  I do remember it was extremely relaxing to hear
the songs reverberate through Kabul, a beautiful but stark, ancient mountain
city, ringed by a wall to keep out invaders past and present. Made up of some
the poorest people of earth, the language barrier made it difficult to
communicate, but I made many friends and was invited into several homes to
break bread.  It doesn't elude me that it was my first exposure to real trail
magic.

I just hope people are able to differentiate between the true, proud Afghan
people I knew, that let meager lives scratched out of the inhospitable
countryside and the Taliban, Osama bin Laden and "Afghan Arabs"  (I don't
think there is such a thing).  You do not know how much it saddens me to
think that any Afghan is involved with what happened Tuesday.

Sly

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---