[at-l] Sleeping light AND warm

> Suggestions from the group on best solution for sleeping that is A)
> warm, B) lightweight, and C) comfortable?
>
> Cheers, Navigator

I have a +20 F synthetic bag which is not too good once it really gets
cold. For economic reasons, I'm not ready to get something different. So,
I have a combination approach to staying warm.

First, I wear long johns and fuzzy polarteck socks in the sleeping bag.
Also, I wear a balaclava.
Second, when the temps drop into the 20s and my old bag starts to show
its age, I have to close up the hood and draw it tight around my face.
Next, I have to use my world famous nose warmer. I tie a bandana sweat
ban style so it covers the end of my nose. The moist air can escape under
the bandana and out the opening in my mummy bag. Some ice has formed on
the bandana but not close enough to my nose to bother me.
My last add on it to cover my bag with something. Most times, I can zip
my rain parks and use it like a bag to cover my feet and lower legs. If
it is really cold, I'll cover up with my rain fly.

The obvious draw back to the last stage is the condensation that builds
up under my rain parka or tent fly. If the weather is below freezing, it
forms ice which is easy enough to brush off before packing up. If the
temps are right at freezing then I have a bigger problem because my bag
actually gets wet. I can usually dry it by just laying it out before I
pack up. Cold air must be very dry because the moisture evaporates in a
short time.

When I feel I have the money to spend, I think I'll make me a bivy sort
of bag, or an over bag made from gortex material. In the mean time the
water proof stuff adds amazing extra warmth to my sleeping bag.

Oh, I forgot to mention that I have added a closed cell foam pad to the
top of my full size thermorest in very cold temps, like near zero. My
back requires the padding of the termorest and usually there is enough
insolation provided by it. In very cold weather, I need more insolation
and the closed cell foam does the trick. I think my foam pad weighs 14
ounces...............no, I just put it on my scales and it seems to be
one pound even. Not bad for a good night's sleep.  Hopeful
GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.