[at-l] Sleeping light AND warm.

Navigator,

Reference your post, dated September 13, 2001, where you advise "I sleep
cold."

I had not read elaborations on sleeping "cold" or "warm", and didn't know
whether someone who said they slept cold meant they felt cold when trying to
sleep, or felt warm when the ambient temperature was cold.

Thanks for the clarification.

The obvious answer is to buy a thicker bag.  The down side (pun?) is it will
weigh more and take up more volume.

The standard for thickness-to-warmth has not been established.  This leaves
the ratings standard up to the manufacturer.  You know, the guy who wants to
sell the sleeping bag.   If a bag is rated by a "warm sleeper," the rating
will leave the "cold sleeper" feeling cold.  I imagine a manufacturer would
want all the raters to be "warm sleepers."

You may, therefore, find some relief by changing brands.

You also advise, "I ostensibly have an allergy to feathers (and do have one
to dust mites), but am willing to try down, if that's what it takes."

I'm not sure, with the term "ostensible" in your statement, what your
tolerance to down is.

You may be well served to rent various brands of sleeping bags, using
varying types of fill material, from an outfitter, and try them out in the
coldest months.

I suppose, I also sleep "cold."  This means, to me, I hate to feel cold when
I sleep.  I have various sleeping bags for different temperatures I expect
to encounter.

There are also sleeping bag liners, vapor barriers, and inserts.  These
"solutions" add up to more total weight than just buying a thicker sleeping
bag for colder weather.

You can also carry a fairly thick jacket, which you can use when you stop
walking, and wear it when you enter your sleeping bag.

I feel your pain.  Steve