[at-l] Zip Stove Batt. Life; Weary

"how long (will) the AA Battery ... last
in a zip stove," asks Rocky.

I've  never really timed battery life. Like Rocky, I tend to use partially worn out flashlight
batteries. My original Zip used a bent wire as a switch, and sometimes the contact was pretty
marginal so at first I used more batteries than necessary. I eventually carved a tiny wooden wedge to improve
the connection and battery consumption plummeted.

My current Zip has a standard electrical connection and seems to be much better. I think I used one
or two double A batteries a week. I know it never seemed a real problem. My meals also tended to be
20 minute affairs and in areas of suspect water supplies I would boil two quarts at night for use on
the trail the next day. I've also been known to pile on some wet stuff to create a smudge to
discourage mosquitoes.

The Zip is really an ideal stove for a long distance hike, especially for those of us who do
our shopping at supermarkets and trailside stores. I never worried about cooking times when shopping
because I always had a plentiful supply of free (and weightless) fuel for my stove.

Weary