Re[2]: Same ol' message from Sloetoe... Re: Re[4]: [at-l] It is immoral

"...BORING, BORING, BORING. Can't you find a less lecturing way to spread your lecture?"

Some 25 years ago I helped organize "A Maine Mountain Conference." With the exception of Katahdin,
the Maine mountains were totally unprotected at that time. The aim was to focus attention on the
nature and value of the mountains. We kept the meeting reasonably lively.

But when it came time to pass resolutions the debate became boring, as debate can be. And people
started leaving. In fact enough left so that industry had a free hand to pass whatever resolutions
it wanted.

Despite this over the years we have managed to protect many of the more important mountains and
before Congress as we speak are proposals to protect Tumbledown Mountain. This is a low mountain but
with one of the most beautiful summits anywhere, three peaks, surrounding a mountain tarn. No, I am
not God. If I were I would ordain protection. My only tool is my very limited powers of persuasion.
It would be very helpful if folks would write their Senators and Representatives and urge full
funding for the Forest Legacy program.

Weary