[at-l] nice to meet you/Katahdin

Hi Stargazer
You wondered;
"i'm heading to millinocket on oct. 15 to start my honeymoon at the katahdin
inn, and from what i've read, i have a sinking feeling i won't get the chance
to set a foot or eye on the AT. is this true? does everything close down in
mid-october?"
 Heck, no! Baxter only closes the campgrounds on October 15th, the Park will
be open for day hiking while you're there, weather permitting. Check out
Baxter State Park Headquarters, you won't regret it! Last year the Park
closed due to heavy snow the first week of October, but was open again by the
end of the month. The first weekend of November was glorious up there.
 For a day hike on the AT in Baxter I recommend going up out of Katahdin
Stream Campground. Just over a mile is a great wood bridge leading to an open
ledge with great views west. Just beyond that there are side trails to some
awesome overlooks of Katahdin Stream Falls. If you're willing to go up a bit
more, you'll climb a stone staircase leading you up to some great huge
boulders to scramble up on with spectacular views of the Mountains that the
AT fades off into. All this, and still below treeline, too! Dress warm,
don'tcha know.
 If the AT is closed, drive past Katahdin Stream Campground and park in the
pulloff where the AT turns left into the woods. The AT here goes past
Moose-full ponds on it's way to Daicey Pond. Be Careful Around The Moose. You
could also drive up further and go into Daicey Pond Campground. You park next
to a field where the AT shelters are (they're behind the privy). Walk up the
road (it's the AT) into the campground and go to the small library building
on your left. The view from the porch is awesome! Let me know if you have any
other questions :O)
welcome, and have a great time, Stargazer!

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---