[at-l] AT Love

I was lucky enough to hike on a short section of
Wyoming CDT with three AT friends last week with whom
I have now hiked the AT, PCT and CDT (the latter two
in sections).  They are like family to me.  Together
we marvelled at the huge wilderness surrounding the
CDT and huddled together as we saw a wild grizzly bear
running by us in the Yellowstone snow.  We reminisced
about old AT times and created new memories as we
discovered that Borah Peak's (ID highpoint) knife edge
is ten times harder than Katahdin's (impossible!).

Yesterday I got very ill when I heard of the tragedies
on the east coast.  I had AT friends working in high
rise buildings in NYC.  Even though I haven't really
maintained consistent contact with those AT friends, I
felt like my family was in danger.  Those trail ties
run deep and strong, even years after the hike.  I
have since reached the AT '98 folks in NYC by email,
and they are OK.  I love those people.

I have been active in the AT community on and off
since '97, but haven't been on this list in a long
while.  I hope we embrace our love for one another as
a hiking community -- it'd be nice even if we hadn't
actually met while hiking.  The AT has a special
social connection that I think is really unique.
Yesterday really emphasized that -- the only good
thing I could pick out of the day immediately.

I probably won't be flying to The Gathering -- more to
do with money than fear.  I'm going to stay on the
list to catch snippets of fun stuff, and I appreciate
all the trail reports and Gathering information.

Peace,
Nocona