[at-l] a sobo remembers.... Duncannon, PA

It was 2 years ago today that I arrived in Duncannon. Coming down the =
hill just before the highway I  met The Dancer, the only thru-hiker I =
had seen since Leroy Smith Shelter, 120 miles north. The Dancer was =
slacking north.  I walked on into town where I promptly lost the trail. =
About par for me, get me in a town and I get lost about half the time.

I had  lunch at a small cafe across and slightly beyond the Doyle. In =
fact had 2 lunches. My appetite was beginning to pick up a bit.

After lunch I checked out the Doyle. There wasn't anyone staying there =
and  it was pretty hot so I called the truck stop to make sure they had =
a room. They did and after picking up a package at the post office I =
walked out of town to what was one of the best rooms on the trail. Only =
$24.=20

Although the truck stop was busy the room was quiet and I got a good =
nights sleep. The next morning I was leaving the restaurant after =
breakfast when I noticed 4 young hikers come in. They had a long =
distance hiker look except they seemed very tired. I went over to chat =
with them and found out why they looked so beat. One of the group had =
realized that the store at Iron Masters Mansion wasn't open after Labor =
Day except on the weekend and decided they needed to do something about =
that since they wouldn't arrive till Tuesday or Wednesday.

They decided to see how far and long they could walk. They had walked =
for over 40 hours straight and covered 60+ miles. I suppose they hadn't =
eaten much because the tab for breakfast was $72 for the 4 of them.

I left town rather late and stopped for the night at  Darlington =
Shelter. In the late afternoon 2 of the 4 hikers arrived at the shelter. =
The other 2 had stopped on the trail, took a nap and didn't awake till =
the next morning.

southwalker99@alltel.net
South Walker
MEGA '99
In hiking there is no special recognition given for speed, style or =
finesse.=20
There is only those who do the hike and those who don't.

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---