[at-l] Rock Climbing revisited

 Mount Yonah is about 20 miles (straight line) from Springer, near
the town
 of Cleveland GA. It has a massive rock top which can be seen from
many
 points along the first 50 miles of the AT. It is used at times by
Army
 rangers and has a number of fixed placements for top ropes. I am
sorry that
 I do not have good directions available. It involves walking from
 resturant parking lot a mile or two up a road which is eventually
gated, but
 foot traffic is allowed. If there isever again clear weather in
the
 southeast, you can see from Springer to Standing Indian mountain
from the
 top of Mount Yonah.

> <DaRedhead@aol.com> wrote in message
> > Hey folks, don't fail me now.  I need a quick answer (as in
before
> tomorrow
> > at noon) on rock climbing anywhere near Springer.  Toney and
his
> girlfriend
> > are staying in a cabin near there (about 20 miles, I think) and
after
> bowing
> > and scraping at the Springer trailhead they'd like to get in a
bit of
> > climbing.  Anyone know of anything near there that would
provide some
> > bouldering or actual climbing that is not too far away?
> >
> > And, as an added bonus for my beloved ex - anyone have anyplace
they know
> of
> > around there that is spectacularly romantic, excellent views,
water to
> cavort
> > in, any kind of place that grabbing some bubbly from your pack
would be
> > impressive, without much hiking. (she's new to hiking, he
doesn't want to
> > overwhelm her yet ;))
> >
> > And one more thing  - seeing as how I don't have a few hours to
go thru
> the
> > archives - is the best road to the trailhead still fs 42, and
if so, is it
> > passable to normal cars?  If so, could I have something in the
way of
> > directions to get there?  He doesn't want to subject her to the
approach
> > trail just yet - smart man, that ;)
> >
> > Sorry so late in asking, but even though Toney isn't on the
list, he's
> come
> > to realize the vast pool of knowledge here in these areas, and
I can't