[at-l] Hiking anyone?

All my hiking since getting back from my AT section hike has been with my 5
year old grandson for a partner.  He won't let me out of his sight, I was"
hiking too long". Today we did a leisurely 1.7 miles around the lake at the
local state park, taking time to skip a few rocks, try to catch some
crawdads and minnows, watched the blue heron fish.  It was a wonderful hike

ATwanabe

> From: Ed Williams <edwilliams@plangraphics.com>
> To: Jim and/or Ginny Owen <spiriteagle99@hotmail.com>; at-l
<at-l@backcountry.net>
> Subject: RE: [at-l] Hiking anyone?
> Date: Tuesday, September 04, 2001 3:58 PM
>
> I hiked this beautiful weekend, and last beautiful weekend, and the one
> before that and so on and so forth...
>
> This Saturday I took the girlfriend down to the Red River Gorge
(Kentucky)
> to do a nice leisurely paced 2.5 mile ridge walk followed by a descent
down
> into the Gorge for a night of camping near a nice rocky, clear creek.  It
> was a perfect weekend to be outdoors in Kentucky, with the high temp only
> hitting the upper 70s.  It got chilly enough on Saturday night around 2AM
> climb inside the bag - of course I loaned my girlfriend my summer bag so
> lasted all of 10 minutes in my 20 degree bag before feeling like a baked
> potato.  We had a nice hike back on Sunday morning, stopping to take many
> pictures along the way.  My girlfriend was a bit upset, however, that she
> had to actually walk back up that "steep" hill we came down, asking
several
> times if there was an alternate "flat" route out.  Next weekend is a
trail
> crew weekend, so I'll be hitting it hard, working along a 5 mile stretch
of
> trail badly in need of clearing.
>

> Ed

Chuck
> Keiper Trail in central PA.  For those that don't know, it's a 50 mile
loop
> trail that can be broken up into smaller loops.  It's very challenging
> because of frequent steep climbs, but  a really good trail for a two or
> three day weekend trip.  Blueberries were still abundant in the sunny
open
> areas, there was plenty of water and late summer wildflowers, a few
leaves
> were turning red and gold, and the ferns were still wonderfully fragrant.
> saw seven deer the first day and a big black snake the second day, owls
and
> peepers serenaded us at night.  We decided on a modified version of the
> eastern loop, using Penrose Road as the connector. to make a 26 mile
circle.
> The weather was gorgeous most of the weekend - rainy on Friday night,
> sunlight and shadows on Saturday (my favorite kind of hiking weather),
cold
> and dewy on Saturday night, warm and sunny on Sunday and Monday.
Evidently
> everyone else thought this was a good weekend to be out.  Normally we
never
> see anyone on the CKT, but this time we saw lots of other hikers,
including
> a couple of groups of college kids out for 5 days.  We took our time, and
> despite being out of shape, we managed to do in two days the trip we had
> planned for three, so late Saturday afternoon we climbed the last hill to
> our trucks, went into Renovo for burgers and beer, slept in the trucks
and
> did a day hike on a brand new 5 mile trail that loops out of Hyner Run
State
> Park.  Everything seemed to work well this weekend.  Yes, we are stiff
and
> sore, but the walking was terrific, the company grand, the hike enough of
> challenge to feel good about without being really difficult.  Because I
> needed time in the woods so badly, I walked ahead of the group a lot, so
> could really be aware of where I was walking, without the distraction of
> conversations -- but it was also good to have people to share the joy
with,
> whenever we stopped.  It is so easy to make me happy, just take me into
the
> woods.  I was flying high all weekend.  The drive home was fairly slow
> (about 6 hours because of traffic and construction) but had its
highpoints
> too, including two northbound hikers we met at the truck stop in
Duncannon