[at-l] LNT was AT-L And The AT

> The amount of litter...depends on...attractions that draw non
backpackers.....

I agree completely.  I see the backpacking / hiking / climbing / et al
communities (IN GENERAL) as much more concerned with keeping the wilderness
areas as they are than (MOST) casual dog walkers and beer-packers.

I met, while in Shenandoah, an older couple from NYC who wanted to see the
"App-ah-lach-EE-an trail" and were carying with them a cooler and portable
battery operated fan.  I walked with them to the trail head and even up to a
suitable view for their picknick.  All the while I engaged them in a
conversation about LNT principles (of which they had no concept) and they
were supprised to learn that the rangers in the park were not also trail
janitors.  I think that they thought I was a little "off" but they were
willing to listen and even promised to clean up after themselves after
lunch.

I think that we can have an impact with these type of people if we are
patient and not accusitory when talking with them.  For the most part, they
don't WANT to turn the woods into a dumpster, they are just lazy and don't
think about the consequences of their actions.  If you help them to realize
what they are doing, they will probably want to change.
(Or maybe I'm just a bleeding heart optimist and I'm the one living in a
fantasy world??)

> comparing a trail in Indiana which may lead from a picnic area to a
stretch of the AT in the
> Shenandoahs may possibly be unfair due to accessibility by "civilians"
> Just my 2 cents

You're right here also,  Indiana has a couple of hiking trails, (Knobstone
trail, Adventure hiking trail, and the American discovery trail runs through
the state in two areas to name a few) but nothing to compare with the
length, history, tradition, and terrain of the AT.  I also assumed that
since the AT was intersecting the SNP, that the view I had was doubly
skewed.  I suspected, however, that the question might still be valid in
that the people who frequent the AT in a national park might compare to
those weekend RV'ing in Indiana state parks and forests.  My reasoning was
something along these lines.  If you choose a park with a hiking trail in
it, (regardless of the state) you are aware of hiking as an enjoyable
passtime.  I realize that the people on the trail came specifically for the
trail whereas those in Indiana, come to parks and forests for other reasons
and find their way to the trails there as a side note, but still think that
the two groups are essentially vacationers.  ( I only met 4 other section
hikers while on the trail but met close to 50 other day hikers,
slackpackers, and general tourists)

Anyway,  I think that the users of the AT (those people who think that
finding their way to the trail for the express purpose of walking on it
regardless of time and distance) generally fall into a group of people who
care more about the environment than most other outdoors people.
example:
I met, over last weekend, a group of horse campers who left all of their
beer cans at a trail shelter, a woman wearing a backpack and hiking boots
who had tossed her *lipstick!* because while she was applying it, (while
walking on the trail) it had broken, and a family tent camping who saw
nothing wrong with doing dishes and urinating in a creek.

I asked the questions because I am curious what is different about US that
causes us to recognize these things as important and worth extra effort on
our parts to maintain.

Again, your thoughts, comments and disagreements are asked for.

noble path