[at-l] Cholesterol Levels, B/P and Stop Smoking hike update

I do have to comment here and remind myself how important it is to do
regular, long distance hiking.  I have very high cholesterol (often close to
300) and high B/P.  This is genetic as almost all of the women on both sides
of the family have died from heart attacks before age 50.  A couple of years
ago, when I was hiking almost every weekend and doing regular section hikes,
my B/P went down so much than I was able to d/c my B/P meds.  My cholesterol
also went down significantly.  I always used oil during the hikes, but made
sure it was a "good oil", usually extra virgin olive oil.  Now, although I
have been hiking quite a bit, the hikes have been shorter and not so
regular, and I have not noticed any improvements  I do always take a
multi-vitamin and daily  81mg. aspirin.

Somehow life has just gotten so busy and there has not been as much time for
serious hiking!  My dh and I do plan a 2003 thru hike and I have to start
hitting that trail more often somehow.  I just found out that there is a
group here who hikes every Tuesday and does trail maintenance on the Benton
McKay on Thursdays and I am planning to get into that.

Just got back from the first part of the Stop Smoking hike.  It poured rain
but we had a blast.  Right now the group is all slack packing...wimps, LOL!
They spent last night at Goose Creek cabins and are planning to be back on
the trail this morning.  Most had to return to the real world, but David A.
(who had his last puff on top of Springer in gale force wind and rain,
Chuck, Jan "Lightfoot" and Russ are starting back on the trail today.  It is
still pouring here!

More later...Hummingbird