[at-l] Cholesterol Levels After Extended Hike?

"...Most of the diets suggested for thru-hiking emphasize high calorie density foods, many of which
are very high in fat."

I can't comment on chloresterol, though mine is relatively low, and has been both before and after
hiking. As far as fats go, I think it difficult to achieve a high fat diet while on the trail. The
basic trail diet is an ideal diet, except for the lack of vegetables. Basically, we eat oatmeal,
rice, pasta, instant potatoes and such.

In the interest of a low pack weight, I tend to add a slug of canola or olive oil to most meals. But
there is only so much oil, most people can stand. It's my guess that most hikers don't consume more
than 20 percent of their calories as fat, and these tend to be the least harmful fats.

The problem foods are cake, ice cream, steaks and such. These are all pretty scarce commodities on the
trail.

I splurge in the towns with all you can eat salad bars, some beer and an occasional pizza.

But basically, I think a typical trail diet is pretty sound nutritionally -- especially if you also
consume a multi-vitamin capsule. (which I don't).  Despite that omission, I think I'm pretty
healthy, given my background, occupation and age.

Weary