[at-l] ice axes

OK Chase, I'll play your way!  Disclaimer: This advice could be considered
irresponsible.

My ice ax is a SMC Alpine, it's sturdy, yet heavy and I don't recommend it.
The ones you mentioned should work fine.  I traded for mine, an old pair of
boots, that I had resoled and didn't fit me anymore.  I carried it on the PCT
(for a section) and actually walked with it once, but felt I was better off
maintaining my balance using my Lekis and mostly carried it on my back.
Fortunately, I didn't slip and slide off into the rocks or trees below.

The most important aspect of carrying an ice ax is being able to use it.  I
practiced on the trail once and nearly took my shoulder off.  I suppose I
should have kept on practicing, but like I said, I felt more comfortable
using my Lekis.  I will mention, I didn't start very early in the day,
waiting for the snowpack and ice to soften up.  Consequently, I may have
postholed more than necessary in the soft snow later in the afternoon, but if
you time your passes correctly it's an awesome experience.

Of course every year is different, this year being a low snow year, most of
the hikers had no need to carry an ice ax.  In '99 we had a normal snow year,
the Sierras had lots of snow, but I waited until "Ray Day"  (June 15th) to
leave Kennedy Meadows.  In some of the previous years the snow pack was above
average and only a few hardly souls were able to make it through the Sierras
during the thru-hiker season.

Your snow crossing miles may vary!

Sly

In a message dated 9/3/2001 4:09:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
wb4pan@mindspring.com writes:

>     The ice axe I have been considering is the Air Tech Racer. It weighs 14
> oz. I do not remember the name of that 9oz one the outfitter
> recommended. So you folks that have been there and done that what do you
> say? I axe you are the needed on the PCT and CDT. Of course every year
> is different. What model did ya use? Or like Wolf did ya just pick up a

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---