[at-l] State of the List

Yo,

	Grey Owl I expect many folks have made the same observations. Thank you
for posting your thoughts. I wish you would consider and think about
posting your trip reports and hiker related stuff.
	I personally enjoy hiker journals and gear stuff a lot more than I do
philosophy and politics. Matter of fact I am inspecting "Ice Axes"
thinking I may need one sooner or later on the PCT as I start my section
hike. An outfitter in Burlington, VT recommended an axe that was very
light only 9 oz. He said this one was good for PCT cause ya never expect
to use it. However he said if you used it to chop steps in the ice the
head may break off. It's only $59. but once the head breaks off its
worth zilch. So I kind off like the Air Tech Racer at 10 oz instead. He
said it would last a lifetime. Since I never been there or done that I
would like to hear other travelers thoughts on "ice axes" and the PCT or
CDT. Errr please change the subject line to reflect your reply hahaha.
	Hey Im one of those ounce weenies! But I do not take offense if you are
not. Recently on completing my section hike of the Long Trail ending up
at Killington. When my ride arrived at the INN at the LT there were
several AT north bounders packing up large packs. We had been having
nice trail talk earlier. My pack was over behind them and I had to reach
over and pick up my pack,,,,with two fingers:-). "Ah ultralight, the
only way to go" I said out loud. The AT hikers eyes got big when they
saw how effortlessly I lifted my pack. One of them replied to my
statement "well obviously that is not the ONLY way to go" looking at the
large packs sitting there. Naturally I replied "well of course not"
"There are as many ways as there are hikers".
	Please do not let a few hot heads run you off or keep you from
contributing to the list. They will cool off sooner or later and
continue to offer there input too.
	I have never had to put anyone on automatic delete. I got pretty close
twice. Once before wingoot went back in the closet or formed his on list
and once with that City Slicker Fellow who also either left or wised up
and changed his name. LOL

chase

p.s. I just caught up on Fanny Packs Journal. Boy is it full of PCT
information.