[at-l] What do you do...

Look at the sky and learn how to predict the weather. Boy Scouts was
worth something. Plus, the antenna on the weather radio might become an
effective lightning rod.

The problem is that even if you do know the weather, there is still a
great deal of randomness to lightning and other rare but catastrophic
events. After something has occured, it is simple to determine that
hiker's actions worked or didn't work. That really is about as helpful
as a visit to your local pathologist - who knows all the answers, only
too late.

The best strategy is not a pat answer, but a determined problem solving
procedure based your knowledge of weather and conditions including the
surrounding terrain. This isn't all that different from how we handle
all the other problems encountered in a hike.

Bill...