[at-l] 24,000-mile hike

This might have been posted by someone else, if so i am sorry.

I received it from Potato Picker a 99 thru hiker

PA
This was in the Steubenville Herald-Star
Area men to begin 24,000-mile hike
By JASON SCOTT
Staff writer
RICHMOND - Few may truly understand that a journey of a thousand miles =
does begin with one step in the way Richmond resident Dan Rogers =
understands.
He embarked Friday on a six-year, 24,000-mile trek across America's =
trails and roads.
Rogers, accompanied by fellow hiker Dennis Ham, has mapped out a series =
of walking trails and connecting routes that will take him and his =
friend across 48 states and back to Richmond on May 10, 2007.
Rogers, who hiked 2,160 miles of the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to =
Maine in September 1999, said he began planning the route a year ago as =
a chance to pursue a dream.
"I just got to daydreaming and I decided to follow it," Rogers said. =
"It's a matter of being able to chase my dreams - the simple joy of =
freedom."
"I'm not hiking to save the world. I'm hiking to discover it," he said,
Ham, a veteran hiker who travelled 13,000 miles on foot in 1992, met =
Rogers in the Great Smoky Mountains during their individual journeys on =
the Appalachian Trail in 1999.
Ham, a native of Oklahoma, said Rogers told him of his plan several =
months ago and he, too, immediately bought into the dream.
While the dream of taking off for six years and wandering the country =
may sound simple, putting the concept into action has required extensive =
planning, according to Rogers.
The two men must pack supplies enough to sustain them on their trek, but =
no more than absolutely necessary to limit the weight of their packs.
The weight of each of their backpacks is between 20 and 25 pounds, with =
each item considered for its usefulness and weight.
Rogers's and Ham's packs include a 7-ounce "kitchen," containing a cook =
stove fashioned from the bottom portion of a soda can, a wind shield and =
a small cooking pot. The stove is fueled by denatured alcohol.
Their diet will consist primarily of rice, noodles, macaroni and cheese =
and other meals requiring little preparation, although Rogers and Ham =
both agreed that candy bars and all-you-can-eat buffets in various towns =
along their path will factor into their consumption.
But even a steady diet of candy bars and large meals would probably not =
affect the build of either hiker - each will burn nearly 6,000 calories =
each day by walking.
Rogers said he expects to lose roughly 45 pounds, while Ham, who has =
been walking steadily in preparation for the trip, said he will likely =
drop 10 pounds.
Each hiker will wear one set of clothes and pack a pair of spare, dry =
clothes, wearing their rain gear on laundry day.
At night they will sleep on inflatable pads, each shielded from the =
elements under one-man tents.=20
Rogers' pack will hold a digital camera and pocket e-mail device so he =
will be able to transmit photographs and journal entries for publication =
on his Web site, www.geocities.com/sheltoweehikes/, and possibly for =
later compilation for a book.
The hikers will remain in contact with family and friends using e-mail.
Rogers' mother, Elaine, said it is no surprise to her that Dan would =
choose to spend so much time on the road.
"I'm used to it," she said. "He's been doing it since he was 12 years =
old."
Rogers said he and Ham will walk nine months a year, staying with =
friends across the country during the coldest winter months, but =
resuming their trek from the points they leave off.
Upon his return in May 2007, Rogers hopes to polish up his writings for =
his autobiographical account of the trip.
"I have a lot of time to think, that's for sure," Rogers said.
And although Ham hasn't planned anything for after the completion of the =
trek, his love of wandering may pull him back to the trails.
"I'll probably go walking somewhere," Ham said.

www.hikers99.homestead.com

multipart/alternative
  text/html
---