[at-l] What's Your *ism? (was AT on FOXnews)

At 01:26 PM 8/31/01 -0400, Gary Ticknor wrote:
>Hear, hear!!
>
>- Gary from Fairfax, descendant of Western European Christian Capitalists,
>who never noticed that the Godless Russian Communists, for example, had
>much regard for the environment. I  could give other examples...

My original comparison was with indigenous cultures who were dependent upon
the land and was not intended to demonstrate that any brand of greed was
superior to another.  That the history of this land involved a contest
between capitalism and native society rather than another whateverism and
native society is simply a matter of history.  And before someone gets lost
in the bad aspects of native culture (which I'm sure can be enumerated by
anyone in a combative mood) I will reiterate my original contention, namely:
"It's a shame that the notion of stewardship took a back seat in the whole
process of arriving where we are today. If it had been a cornerstone of our
attitude toward the land we probably wouldn't need the intervention of
government to preserve wild areas."
Surely you are not contending that an attitude of stewardship toward nature
is a bad thing.  All I was doing is outlining the path that got us where we
are and expressing the wish that it needn't be that way.

sAunTerer