[at-l] gear

I firmly agree with Red's assessment of backpacks. I've had the same trouble with attempting to go to a lighter pack or rucksack.  Neither my Lowe Alpine rucksack nor the REI Light Star (both 2#) compare in comfort to the old Lowe Alpine internal frame (5#) that I use on a regular basis. The older, heavier pack allows me to get my sleeping bag into a compartment, get all of my lightweight gear INSIDE the pack, including sleeping pad, and provides firm back support, making carrying the load almost painless. By comparison, I've had severe upper back and neck problems using the other two packs with similar loads (20-25#).

That said, I plan to try out a G4 just so I can convince myself that I can't go as lightweight as I'd hoped I could.  Gotta have that hipbelt!

Cheers, Navigator