Re[4]: [at-l] MORE l] AT on FOXnews

I never said not to participate in the process. I have participated far more than most, serving on
my town committee, a member of the county committee, editor of a state party newsletter, 12 years as an
official of town government, 35 years as a volunteer for town government, a couple of years on my
party's state committee, creator of newsletters for candidates, advisor to candidates, contributor
to candidates (usually $10, but sometimes as much as $50). Once I ran for state senate
(unsuccessfully)during my four decades of active participation in one form or another.

Being a student of government and a participant in government I know how important money is to
keep the process moving. In my Senate race I came close to upsetting a right wing bigot, only because hundreds of
people donated $15,000, mostly in $10-$20 contributions. My opponent collected more from a
dozen sources -- tobacco companies, lobbying groups, and the politically powerful paper industry, owner
of half of the state, mostly in $500 and $1,000 plus contributions. Who do you suppose got my
opponents votes when the Legislature met a few weeks later? Does anyone truly believe that a
North Carolina-based tobacco company sent $1,000 to a 20,000-voter State Senate District 1,500 miles away
without being pretty sure they would get something in return.

Had I been elected, you can be assured that I would have listened most carefully to those who responded
with $10, $20, occasionally $50, when my campaign was broke and we needed another mailing.

Being a student of human nature as well as an observer of reality, I know nothing speaks louder
than an election contribution when one is seeking to influence a politician to support an issue.

To label reality as cynicism, is the greater cynicism. Does anyone think my Representative to
Congress doesn't listen to me more carefully when I urge protection for the wildlands of Maine
because he has seen me at so many political events -- some fund-raising -- over the years that he
knows me by my first name?  No, as people on this list can attest, my influence, if any, isn't based on my
bubbly, friendly personality!

Weary