[at-l] AT on FOXnews

At 06:42 PM 8/29/01 -0700, Orange Bug wrote:
>I think it may be even more complex, as the European settlers were
>accepting ownership of the land as a trust or grant from their
>government. The "divine rights of Kings" established distant owners in
>fact of all within their domain -- who made claimed lands as gifts and
>entitlements from God to establish dominion under their crown.

And the foundation of the King's dominion rested on Christian
interpretation of the Biblical passage where God gave Man dominion over the
Earth and all the creatures therein.  Under that interpretation Man had the
God Given Right to use the Earth for his own purposes.  Add to that the
economic philosophy of capitalism that came along with the industrial
revolution and you get "property rights".  It's a shame that the notion of
stewardship took a back seat in the whole process of arriving where we are
today.  If it had been a cornerstone of our attitude toward the land we
probably wouldn't need the intervention of government to preserve wild areas.

sAunTerer