[at-l] AT on FOXnews

I think it may be even more complex, as the European settlers were
accepting ownership of the land as a trust or grant from their
government. The "divine rights of Kings" established distant owners in
fact of all within their domain -- who made claimed lands as gifts and
entitlements from God to establish dominion under their crown. The
native tribes could not compete effectively following epidemics and the
impact of European technology on stone age cultures. Their land ethics
became historic trivia. The American Rebels didn't like the idea that a
King on the other side of the world could enforce dominion over their
residence via taxation and duties.

We won, the King lost, and we have had to deal with the conflict of
power between landowners (originally the only citizens with the right
to vote and hold office) and the government regarding how land use
should be planned for the greatest benefit of all concerned. Some folks
feel that private property is a sacred right and that libertine usage
of land should rule over the petty intrusions of the State. Others feel
that the greater good should allow intrusion into any property rights.
Somewhere in the middle is the usual goal, but often conflicts prolong
the process to seek solutions.

Bill...